A Brief History of Baddeley Brothers - Established 1859
Baddeleys Brothers can trace their ancestry as craftsmen back to the middle of the 17th century, when they were clockmakers and diemakers for the pottery and jewellery industries in Staffordshire.
In the early 19th century there were Baddeleys working in the Hackney area of East London as engravers of plates for the printing industry and seal dies for the embossing presses, for the jewellery and pottery industries.
In 1859, John Baddeley opened the first bank account for the engraving business started by his father in Hackney and in 1865, working out of premises in Little Bell Alley in the City of London; John was joined by his eldest son John James and his fourth son, William Henry.
In 1885, a factory was built for the company at Moor Lane, near John Keats' birthplace, in the City of London, where it manufactured envelopes, engraved and embossed stationery and produced a wide range of stationery items. This remained the home of the company until it was completely destroyed in the Blitz of 1941, at which point the business continued in loaned premises, run by W B Baddeley, the founder’s grandson, until 1946, when he was re-joined by his son David Baddeley. They opened new premises at 92 Paul Street in London’s EC2 and welcomed back many employees from the pre-war years. The company is still family owned and by the Pertwees, who are direct relations to the original Baddeleys.
In 1961, David Pertwee joined his uncle David Baddeley in the business and was quickly followed by his brother Roger Pertwee in 1966. Now in the hands of the fifth generation, the business moved into larger premises in the neighbouring Boundary Street in 1989 before relocating again in 1993, this time returning the business to Hackney. Roger’s sons Christopher and Charles Pertwee joined Baddeley Brothers in 2001 and 2005 respectively, where they continue to manufacture high quality, engraved stationery and envelopes.